Friday, February 12, 2010

A Valetine's Day Story

REWIND back to 2004 - I was at college in Alabama and Jarrett was 7 hours away at college.  Usually, due to work, I wasn't able to come home from the time I went back after Christmas until March.  It was basketball season, gymnastics, swimming and then baseball back-to-back-to-back, and I had to be present at all of the games/meets, so I just couldn't get away.  Valentine's Day was approaching and while I couldn't go home to visit Jarrett, I wanted to do something special for him.  So, I decided I would make him cookies and ship them to him. 

Now, keep in mind, I DON'T bake so what may seem like an easy, mundane task was extremely difficult for me.  His favorite cookies are oatmeal raisin, so I found a recipe and got to work.  Little did I know, that was the easy part!  I also wanted to make him heart shaped cookies with icing on them.  So, I went the easy route and bought a roll of plain cookie dough, premade icing and heart shaped cookie cutters.  Before I knew it, my entire kitchen was covered in flour (so the dough won't stick while you roll it out) and cookie dough, and red icing was everywhere!  I was amazed at what a mess I could make even with premade dough.  In the end, those too turned out okay. 

So, I packaged up all of his cookies and sent them to his house for him to get for Valentine's Day.  At the time, he lived with his brother, who for whatever reason was home first on the day the cookies arrived.  I'm not sure why, but Brother opened the package, found the cookies and ate all of my heart shaped cookies!  Jarrett never even got to see the cookies that I worked so hard at making for him.  I was SO upset.  Thankfully, Brother doesn't like oatmeal raisin cookies, so he didn't eat those, the ones I actually made from scratch, so I guess that was okay.  Imagine how mad I was when Jarrett called to say thanks for his oatmeal cookies and had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him about the others.  This is typical brother-in-law for you.  At least he thought they were good!

Anyway, here's the recipe for those oatmeal raisin cookies.  I actually kind of impressed myself by making them.  I have made them a couple of times since then and they always turn out pretty good.

OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup raisins

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F


In a large bowl, cream together the butter, butter flavored shortening, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Stir in the oats and raisins. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes until light and golden. Do not overbake. Let them cool for 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheets to cool completely. Store in airtight container.

2 comments:

  1. funny! but what a good gf you were:)
    happy ♥ day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how weird! i just ate an oatmeal raisin cookie last night (which i hated- but ONLY because i despise raisins). anyway- i really wanted a good recipe! i am so going to make these cookies but i think i'll substitute the raisins for chocolate chips! yum!

    ReplyDelete