Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Little Late

I have had such a busy week!  I haven't had time to do hardly anything, updating the blog, being one.  So, since I skipped Foodie Friday yesterday, I will try to make up for it now. 

I bought a new cookbook called "Super Suppers," by Judie Byrd and I really like it.  It gives recipes and also tells you at what point you can freeze the recipes so that you can prepare ahead of time.  I think it's great that she gives that tip on each of the recipes so that you can have things for days when you don't have much time.  It's also great for husbands who can't cook (like mine!) because most you just defrost and throw them in the oven or in a pot.  Also, she reccommends sides, that are also recipes in the book, to go along with each entree.  Here's a couple of recipes that I tried this week that turned out pretty good.  Of course, as always - I never completely follow recipes, so I put my blurbs along with it.

FIRE STATION CHICKEN
Ingredients:
3-3 1/2 lbs chicken, cut into 8 pieces (I just used drumsticks)
28 oz. bottle of smoky BBQ sauce (make sure you get thick sauce, Budweiser sauce was great!)
16 oz. can pinapple chunks, undrained
2 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped bell pepper (I left this out)
1 tsp. seeded and chopped jalapeno pepper (to taste, optional)

Directions:
1. Add all ingredients to a 4-6 quart dutch oven (or stock pot).
2.  Bring to boiling over medium-high heat.  Turn heat to medium-low.  Cover and simmer about 1 hour or until chicken is no longer pink.
FREEZE AHEAD: Place all ingredients in a freezer bag up to 2 months.  Defrost completely in refrigerator and continue according to step 2. 
An FYI on this:  There's a lot of liquid left in this recipe.  If you are making this, I would suggest serving it with rice so that you don't have to waste all the liquid. 

AMISH CHICKEN AND RICE
Ingredients:
11/2 cups uncooked long grain white rice (uncooked)
103/4 oz. can condensed cream of mushroom soup (I used cream of chicken)
103/4 oz. can condensed cream of celery coup
1 cup chicken broth
4 chicken breast halves (you can also use drumsticks here)
1 cup dry white wine (or substitute more chicken broth)
1 envelope dry onion soup mix

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Coat a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray (don't skip this or the rice will stick)
2.  In a bowl, stir together uncooked rive, soups and chicken brother.  Transfer to baking dish.  Arrange chicken breasts on top of the rice mixture; pour wine (or stock) over all.  Sprinkle evenly with soup mix.
3.  Bake, covered for about 11/2 hours or until chicken is no longer pink.
FREEZE AHEAD DIRECTIONS: Prepare through step 2.  Cover with plastic wrap and foil.  Freeze up to 2 months.  Thaw completely in the refrigerator.  Preheat oven.  Remove plastic wrap and foil and continue according to step 3. 

I really enjoyed each of these and hope you will too.  If you try them, let me know what you think!

On another note - I've started a blog for my design business and also an etsy shop.  So visit me if you get a chance.  And if you need any cards or anything of the sort, please let me know!
Blog: http://www.barefootbelledesigns.blogspot.com/
Etsy: http://www.barefootbelledesigns.etsy.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment