Friday, October 2, 2009

A New Favorite

During the first four months we were married, I never made the same thing twice.  Now, I do make repeats, especially since there's so much that we both like, but I do try to make at least one or two new things each week.

Yes, I'm a nerd.  I read cookbooks for fun and think no person can have too many cookbooks!  Strangely, I do not really follow recipes though.  I get ideas from the books and then just add to or take away from recipes that look good.  I like to give everything my own little kick!

This week, I made Onion Mac, which turned out great! Jarrett says it's one of his top five favorite things that I make.  I liked it a lot too!  I love tomatoes and really love pasta (I could eat it everyday).  We both also really like onions.  It all came together in this recipe.  Enjoy!

ONION MAC
Ingredients:
½ lbs. ground turkey
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced

1 env. onion soup mix
1 tbsp. flour
1-8 oz. can tomato sauce
1-14 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 c. elbow macaroni (or shells)
Some shredded cheddar cheese (for the top)


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400°
2. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add pasta. Cook to al dente.
3. While to pasta is cooking, brown the turkey and garlic and drain.  Add onions and cook until soft. 
4. Add soup, flour, tomatoes and tomato sauce. Simmer, covered for 5 minutes. Stir in meat and pasta.
5. Put into a casserole dish (I keep mine in my skillet because it’s oven safe) and top with cheese.
6. Bake for 15-20 until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Try it and let me know what you think.  It's so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment